Emergency Help DiDi App

May 2019 - Aug 2019 | 6 Sprints
Project Overview
DiDi is the largest ride-share service platform in China, just like Uber in US. As the driver's safety issue draws increasing attention, a digital solution that enables drivers to call for help was proposed.
My Contributions
Role: User research, interaction design, visual design
Team: 2 PMs, 2 product designers, and 4 engineers
Result: The adoption rate was increased by 15% three months after the app launched.

Challenge

With an increasing amount of people choose the ride-share driver as their part-time job, the drivers' safety issue draws critical attention, however, the digital solution launched early in the year experienced the low adoption and large amount of misuse. Below shows the current solution:

Solution

The solution included two parts:
- The redesigned Emergency Help feature
- The improved connection experience between two channels

Research

In order to figure out the reason behind the low adoption rate, I began by getting to know the user pain points during the entire user journey.

Interviews

Journey Mapping

Touchpoint Analysis

Figure out
more whys
Get to know the
pain points
Discover the
design opportunities
View/Hide research process

Snythesize

Two major insights gained from the research:
- Users have poor awareness towards the emergency help feature
- It's hard to know when and where to use the "emergency help" button

Goal

My goal is then defined as: to raise the awareness of the emergency help feature and provide a better way to educate users on how and when to use.

Design

I began by going over each touch points identified in the research, trying to find the design opportunities from the flow.
I began by going over each touch points identified in the research, trying to find the design opportunities from the flow. I finally decided to make the improvements on 4 pages from the entire flow.

Solution

The first solution is the newly designed onboarding page to educate the user what's the emergency help feature.
The second solution is the redesigned homepage. The main improvement is to make the emergency help icon more obvious and match the physical button so that users can easily identify the feature.
The third solution is the redesigned emergency help setting page. Two major improvements were made as follows:
- The information is reorganized. The use case was divided into two specific ones so that users can be clear when to use.
- A guidance page with real picture was added to provide the context of use.
The last solution is the redesigned emergency contact setting page. A page was added to show how the emergency contact person will actually help them: by showing the real time location.

Evaluate

I worked with the researchers to test our solutions by conducting the user testing sessions. The most frequently received feedback was on the emergency contact settings page. There were still having problems getting the information quickly. Then I tried the iterations below with different layout. Finally we went with the iteration 4.

Other Improvements

There are other issues along with this project. The first one is the way to check the video on both the DVR App and the bundle mobile app. Some changes were made based on the user feedback and the competitive analysis.
Besides, there were also problems regarding the connection between the DVR App and the mobile app. A new design were proposed with a improved flow to quickly connect the two devices.

Results

According to the data extracted 3 months after the product has shipped, the touch-by-mistake rate was decreased by 15%. Users have better awareness towards the emergency help feature from the interview results. Besides, the conversion rate for connecting the device was increased by 10%. And the overall adoption rate was increased by 15%.

---- What's Next ----

Back to home
HomeGo to the school projects